2.6.0-test1 kernel? gcc 3.3 compiler?

Nathan G. Grennan rhl-beta-list at cygnusx-1.org
Thu Jul 24 22:15:03 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 06:09, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   at the risk of being perhaps a little too far out there
> on the bleeding edge, i'm thinking of dumping the 2.6.0-test1
> kernel on my severn system today, just to push the boundaries.
>
>   in addition, what are the implications of upgrading to
> gcc 3.3?  and what other RPMs would have to go along with
> that to have a usable system?
>
>   just feeling the need ... the need for speed

I upgraded to the 2.6.0-test1 and I had a very annoying issue with USB
not working. I ended up tracking it down to a change in the name of the
USB1 module. I also had to take settings from /etc/modules.conf to
/etc/modprobe.conf  This was especially annoying since I use a USB
keyboard and USB mouse. I do have USB legacy support turned on in the
bios, but the USB keyboard didn't work till I plugged in a PS/2
keyboard. The really funny thing was I would hit numlock on the USB
keyboard and it would change the led on the PS/2 keyboard.

On the same topic USB keyboard and mouse support need to be compiled in
like PS/2 support. Loading USB modules in rc.sysinit a very poor
substitute. Grub also needs native USB support. Currently it only works
with USB legacy support turned on in the bios.