Feature Request

Kevin Freeman kfreem02 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 24 23:11:26 UTC 2003

  >  The real question is will redhat accept patches to add xfs, and
> reiserfs support to the installer?

NOTE: The following applied to Red Hat 9, I have not tried out the new beta.

Yes they do accept patches, but it is a complicated topic.  Anaconda
itself already has low level support for the filesystems you listed - it
just does not allow users to select those options in the GUI.  By
booting CD 1 with "linux reiserfs" or "linux xfs" the GUI would allow
you to create a partition of the desired type, and could also upgrade a
non-raid partition of the desired type.

In April I supplied patches that allowed anaconda to support reiserfs on
a root raid, and the patches were put into rawhide a month or two ago.
Unless Red Hat recently ripped the code out, all it needs is a boot
kernel built with the reiserfs module (Red Hat 9 had such a kernel).
Look at the anaconda code to see how to support additional file systems
on raid/LVM, it is only about 10 lines or so per fs type.  See fsset.py
and partedUtils.py and grep for reiserfs.  The patched anaconda properly
recognizes/mounts reiserfs on raid when invoked from Red Hat 9 CD1 with
"linux rescue reiserfs updates" and with "linux reiserfs updates".  The
updates parameter tells anaconda to load patched files from floppy.  See
the following URL for more detail:
http://home.comcast.net/~kfreem02/LinuxTips/ReiserFS-on-RAID.html

Kevin