NVIDIA - Compile driver

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Fri Jul 25 08:54:03 UTC 2003

> Is there any way we can ditch the freaking NVIDIA installer?  AFAICT
> that thing is a complete waste of bits.  I wish I could just grab the
> tarball and compile it like I always did, or make an RPM.

Run the installer with ./nvidia-installer --extract-only, then you'll be able
to do the old make install. Run with --help (who'd imagined?) for more
options.

Nvidia encourages 3:rd parties to build rpms, and I believe there's one in QA
on www.fedora.us (correct me if I'm wrong).

On a related topic, it would be absolutely _great_ if redhat-config-xfree86
could detect that the nvidia driver is installed, and enable you to switch to
that driver simply by clicking the (normally disabled) "Enable 3d
acceleration" checkbox. Only two things need to be done: comment out Load
"dri", and change driver from "nv" to "nvidia".

/Peter