NVIDIA Question

Jesse Keating hosting at j2solutions.net
Fri Jul 25 16:23:43 UTC 2003

On Friday 25 July 2003 08:53, John Hearns wrote:
> No closed source and considering yum or apt-get?
>
> Why am I expecting three figures dressed as cardinals to burst in?
> "Nobody expects Debian!"
> "Three of our chief weapons are fear, surprise, ruthless packaging
> rules and an almost fanatical devotion to the GPL."

This has little to do with GPL, and everything to do with RHL developers
being unable to view/modify if necessary the nvidia driver source.
Once it's "included" in the distro, then steps have to be made to make
sure that it'll work with all other newer software as it comes out,
such as new kernels, new XFree86, all that fun stuff.  Not being able
to modify the nvidia source puts a huge damper on getting such updates
out and available.

Please note that there is _plenty_ of software in Red Hat that isn't
GPL.  XFree86 for one...

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net