Installing Severn on an old machine

Emmanuel Seyman seyman at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jul 31 10:31:51 UTC 2003

I've installed Severn on a P133 with 64M of RAM and noticed a few things.

- I'm amazed this actually works. I thought RHL had outgrown my
  former computer a while ago.

- 85 minutes to install the standard Workstation setup.
  Ugh. I'm not going to do this everyday.

- Choosing French for the installation, every line ends with " "

- Same thing for the startup messages. Is this a known issue?

- Hooking up the machine with my RHL 9 system via a twisted pair
  network cable floods the screen with kernel errors. The network
  card is a 3com 3c905 (have to double-check that one)

- redhat-config-xfree doesn't detect my monitor but I'm pretty sure that's
  because of the KVM sitting between them. I'll try this again later with
  the monitor hooked up directly to the computer.

Emmanuel