2.6.0- test2, getting sound to work?

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 31 21:13:02 UTC 2003

http://freshrpms.net has all the necessary ALSA stuff

>   2) modules.conf/modprobe.conf entries

Just replace the OSS driver name with the ALSA equivalent that begins
with "snd-......". Perhaps make a "fake" copy of your 2.4 modules.conf with the
sound modules replaced with the equivalent 2.5 module names. Then run the
redirected generate-modprobe.conf commands Bill N. just posted to the list
to make a 2.5 modprobe equivalent. Might work.

>   3) testing, and so on

This runs into the next question.

>   one quick question about ALSA.  based on what i've read, while ALSA
> has an OSS emulation mode, in a perfect world, is there any need for
> OSS functionality?

The OSS and ALSA hooks are different. If the app you want to run has the
old OSS hooks, then ALSA has to emulate them. It cannot do this for
every old app though. For instance, I have tried unsuccessfully to run
the record function of the sound editor Snd with ALSA.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca