Reason for the change

Rik van Riel riel at redhat.com
Mon Jul 21 22:07:52 UTC 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

>     - Allow us to continue to use Red Hat Linux to develop and mature
>       the latest, greatest technologies that may be incorporated
>       later into products like Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Note that "use Red Hat Linux as a base for RHEL" means that
Red Hat Linux will need to remain absolutely stable, so people
don't have to be worried about losing value in Red Hat Linux...

>     - Speed up the development process, taking better advantage
>       of the inherent strengths of the open source model.

... but they should have faster access to new stuff, with more
community influence.  With the community involved in choosing
the direction development takes, we hope that development of
Red Hat Linux will more closely match whatever it is people
really want with Red Hat Linux.