error in release notes

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Jul 21 23:26:57 UTC 2003

> My next question would be why is including a second older compiler
> necessary?  I could understand it for the transition to 2.96, and then
> to 3.2, but why is it necessary from 3.2.* to 3.3?

Gcc 3.3 has an improved parser which rejects some borderline bogus
constructs that gcc 3.2 permitted. The kernel like several other projects
found it had a few of them. Most notably it used to accept

	printk("hello
there\n");

now it correctly requires

	printk("hello" \
"there\n");

The 2.4.22 kernel should have all these dealt with, and its very much a
case of a stricter compiler forcing us to clean up mess.