suggestions

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Tue Jul 22 12:20:14 UTC 2003

>* Add bittorrent because it's the best way to grab RedHat Linux.
For some people, I'm sure the acceptable use policy for some people make
it difficult to use bt legally, and for others firewalls make bt a
technical challenge.

>* http://rhl.redhat.com/ should follow w3c standards !
>For a "quite" community project, it's a shame.

Now I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and accept the fact
that your English might be poor. Saying its a 'shame' is seem a bit
harsh. I'm sure you can file this issue as a bug against the website
somewhere in bugzilla.

>* As a community project, can you *please* add mailing-list (only
>rhl-list, beta, devel and so don't seem necessary) to Deutcsh, French,
>Spanish, ... audience.

Hmm maybe a users group list for the major languages in the geek
community..like esperanto and klingon. But I can't really see the point
in providing 14 language specific development lists or 14 beta lists.
Sure All the Spanish people might be able to talk together and decide
what they want to do developmentwise...but unless the 'core' members are
speaking Spanish, that line of communication seems pointless. For
development lists...the important thing is that users and developers
communicate, if the main developers aren't French, they are most likely
not going to bother learning French, and the users on that mailinglist
are just going to end up talking among themselves.

For the beta list...the important thing are the bugreports. We can
prattle on all day long on this list...but in the final analysis, unless
that's changed with the change from product to project, are shoving
bugreports into bugzilla for the developers to fix. Are you going to
suggest language specific bugzilla's as well? What are the chances that
a bugreport in french will be read and dealt with by correct package
developer?  For something like multiple human languages support as part
of the beta development to work, you'd really have to round up a bunch
of betatester/translators who could take the Spanish and French
bugreports and translate them into English for the developer deal with
it.

So what it really comes down to on in terms of really supportin multiple
languages on the website and as part of the development process is how
much effort the non-English speakers want to put in translating the
website into other languages and things like bugreports back into
english.  Everything in the post I'm responding to, feels like your
asking for someone else to take care of these translation issue. If
that's the case, then you don't get it. People in the userbase need to
step up and provide the translations for the software and for the
webpages.

Making the rhl website fall under the "Documents Project" makes some
sense, and would provide this 'community' input on fixing the shameful
lack standards compliance, as well as what more to include.
Is there a need here for some sort of limited rights wiki?

-jef"I'm getting this list in digest mode, to self restrict the amount
of posting I do"spaleta