opteron ?

Randall J. Parr RParr at TemporalArts.COM
Tue Jul 22 16:13:27 UTC 2003

Jesse Keating wrote:

>On Tuesday 22 July 2003 00:06, James Ralston wrote:
>

>>If you want to build inexpensive AMD64 systems, wait until the Athlon
>>64 is launched.  Opterons are all about building servers.
>>

>This is exactly the point though.  $The_next_version will be used in many many
>places as a server, for heavy server duties.  AMD64 isn't an option there, as
>it's a desktop processor.  We have customers CURRENTLY that refuse to use
>SuSE and continue to use GinGin64 (Opteron compiled version of RHL9) even
>though there is no support and no errata because they want opterons, and they
>want Red Hat Linux as their server.
>
>I think there is a potential userbase, but you can't get a userbase w/out a
>product.  Chicken/Egg syndrome all over again *sigh*

I know *I* have video/image processing customers that would like to go
Opteron but have held off because of this lack of support. I also
customers who use their RH boxes as development servers/workstations who
are very interested in Opteron but also holding off because of lack of
support.

R.Parr, RHCE
Temporal Arts