Reason for the change

Paul Jenner psj.home at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 22 21:04:18 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 21:21, Klotz, Leigh wrote:
> is RHL like Debian Unstable and RHEL like Debian Stable?

>From a naive user perspective I would say that RHL is more like Debian
stable in that it is a distribution that can be deployed with a level of
confidence on home or non-critical systems (discussions about level of
maturity between Debian and RHL aside).

In contrast, RHEL is a product with a guaranteed level of enterprise
stability that doesn't map directly on to any Debian offering that I
know about (and I am not a Debian offering expert so may well be
wrong;-). RHEL is a product that you deploy when you need to know that
Oracle has tested it and will back you up, HP have tested it and will
back you up and it will stay fully binary compatible and supported for a
number of years after deployment (enterprise vendors picked at random).

Rawhide was more like Debian unstable and Red Hat betas more like Debian
testing in my view.

Please shoot down in flames but this is the way I read the offerings as
a user,

Paul