Sndconfig, does it have to go?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Jul 23 01:48:34 UTC 2003

Well, the release notes merely say that it's deprecated, not that it
will actually be removed for the Cambridge release.  I suspect that one
of the reasons it's till there at all is because of what you mention --
some people are still using those older cards.

Also, keep in mind that OSS as a whole is deprecated in kernel 2.6.  I
don't know for sure, but I suspect that sndconfig won't work at all with
alsa -- those sound cards would have to have alsa support then to work
with 2.6.  But it looks like 2.6 won't be ready for Cambridge anyway, so
they can leave sndconfig in but make sure people know it won't be there
forever.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that a new, modern OS should
have to support all possible hardware from the past.  Sure, it should be
as backwards compatible as possible.  But really, if you desperately
need support for that older hardware, just remain with an older
distro...

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |