Graphical boot isn't so graphical

Thomas Corriher thomas at hcconst.com
Wed Jul 23 21:50:28 UTC 2003

> It is not a marketing decision -
> When something is a usability plus for nontechnical users and
> a usability minus for technical users, we're always going to
> default to the nontechnical setting, because technical users have
> the skills to "opt out" and change the default.

When you dumb down interfaces in the hope of giving Linux a broader
acceptance with the masses, then you are indeed basing designs on
marketing decisions.  There are no technical reasons for it.  It's
a real stretch.  I am not implying that there is anything
inherently wrong with doing that.  I am implying that we should be
honest about the entire situation, because you can't have it both
ways.  Compromises in server design were made (like this and the
Frankenstein version of KDE) for the purpose of (hopefully)
building a better desktop system.  Again, I'll repeat that I do not
feel there is anything inherently wrong with that.  Just don't tell
us you are everything to everyone, and then put marketing spin on
your flaws.  Our most important Linux asset is the community, and
that community cannot survive unless we are willing to be painfully
honest with ourselves about what we are doing, and why we are doing
it.

I care about RH, and apparently I've got the ear of at least one
employee.  So I'll take this opportunity to cite a few observations
to you as an outsider, and as a member of the greater community.

1 - First I remember RH as the "Server Linux", then the "Desktop
Linux", then the "High End Enterprise Linux", and finally RH is now
trying to transform itself into all of the above while
simultaneously dropping all retail sales.  If an individual acted
this way, I would suspect multiple personalities.  You guys ought
to figure out exactly what it is that you do best, and then go all
out with it.

2 - I joined this list because I was invited by an e-mail from RH.
In that message, I was informed that RH was undergoing a paradigm
shift.  Specifically, the entire operations was going open source.
The Linux community would be helping with all package and design
decisions.  This gave me new hope for RH.  However, the attitude I
am reading here is "our way or the highway".  So exactly what is
going on?

3 - I like RH, but unless it can find direction then it is going
down the tubes.

--
 Thomas Corriher
 Backup Address:  corriher at mailcity.com