xmms skipping

mb mb/redhat at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Wed Jul 23 22:47:23 UTC 2003

At 17:34 -0400 Brent Fox wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 17:32, Maynard Kuona wrote:
>>
>> Also, are there any plans to include the preemptive kernel patch. I wish
>> they could give us a number of kernels to choose from. I hat having my
>> audio skipping. It is the thing that annoys me the most about my RH
>> linux installs.
>
>I'm curious if the 2.6 test kernels will show any improvement...

They do for me in that they allow me to run grip and xmms simultaneously,
end even then launch OOo and Mozilla with java with hardly any playback
skipping. The new IO schedulers are really good for desktop users, but..
having said that my "interest" at present is on trying to get a scalable
fileserver using NFS over ext3 with quotas. The hardware only turned up
yesterday--it got put together today, I managed to install severn and
2.6.0-test1-ac2 and will have to wait till tomorrow for the RAID-10 array
to finish building. Oh for NFSv4.. :)

Is severn/cambridge supposed to be 2.6-ready? top was showing that almost
all processes were in swap but 0k of swap was used!