Graphical boot isn't so graphical

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Thu Jul 24 02:08:35 UTC 2003

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> ... So it does have some bias toward users who want
> latest-and-greatest stuff and want to try out a range of software
> (have more choices), even if not all the software is "fully
> productized."

I sincerely hope that "not fully productized" is not marketing-speak for
"let us know if this happens to work".

If I choose to install something off of freshrpms, I don't feel bad if
it ain't quite there yet.  I need some reasonable level of functionality
in a distribution (or at least some way to distinguish core/dependable
from alpha/experimental).  Missing features is one thing; stuff that
just doesn't work is another.  I like to choose where I waste my time ;-)

Surely you wouldn't intentionally dilute the quality of the free (beer)
edition just to pump up the value of the 'enterprise' editions?  Well, I
  can't say I'd blame you if you did.  Good QA is worth real $$.

<Joe