LDAP Performance

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jul 24 08:39:45 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 06:05:58PM -0600, Dax Kelson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 17:23, seth vidal wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 12:15, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> > > We found that turning on nscd with openldap w/db4 had the speeds
> > > equivalent to NIS. However our ldap tables may just be lucky enough to
> > > be fast.
> >
> > And to be fair - I found that it helps ldap too. but then you suffer
> > nscd's problems of over-caching passwords with other uid information.
>
> OpenLDAP can perform massively different depending on how it tuned.
> Even to the order of 10x - 40x difference in performance.
> [...]
> You need to create a DB_CONFIG file inside of your database directory
> (/var/lib/ldap on RHL). If you crank up the size of the shared memory
> buffer pool you'll be happy. The default is 256KB!
>
> Go read:
>
> http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/am_conf/cachesize.html
> http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/api_c/env_set_cachesize.html
> http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/190.html

Thanks a lot, this is very useful information!

I also think that ldap (user management at least) should become
standard in RHL. It is possible to run all under ldap, but the ldap
management tools are missing (that's easy to fix) and the standard
RH user management tool should support ldap, too.

What is the status of RH tools with respect to that
(redhat-config-users, useradd)? libuser was already build against ldap
in RH9. Is there a chance to have more LDAP support in Cambridge?
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de