zero for severn

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 08:47:26 UTC 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Joe Smith wrote:

> Wow, several showstoppers for me in Severn:
>
> Wouldn't boot after install (just boots to grub prompt).

That sounds like grub is working, but just hasn't found the menu file, or
maybe the menu file is corrupt. Do you have any strange disks or
partitions?

You can check this by booting by hand from the grub prompt. First find
which partition /boot is on;
find /boot
(if you have a separate /boot partition find /grub should work)
then you choose this partition
root (hd?,?)
then set the kernel and initrd, tab completion is very useful here
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-... ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /boot/initrd-...
boot
or with a separate /boot partition
kernel /vmlinuz-... ro root=LABEL=/