package/feature request

Ricardo Ariel Gorosito rgorosito at comarb.gov.ar
Thu Jul 24 18:26:30 UTC 2003

What think about the following list?

* Kernel Patches:

- Alsa (to be more 2.6 ready)
- IPsec (freeswan?)
- update lm_sensors (patch & apps)

* Packages/Apps:

- Amavisd-new (usefull in mail servers)
- ClamAV (it help to detect/filter viruses)
- Wine: now support NPTL and AFAIK it run ok in RH9.
- gq
- Samba 3: It is stable for me. AFAIK next release will be RC.

* Features:

- rpm: add/detect more targets (pentium4, athlon-tbird, ppc604e, ...). I
can add athlon-tbird, but rpm -i say "incompatible arch". --ignorearch
solve the problem.

- Up2Date/rhn-applet: add something like "AutoUpdateList " in
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date . It will usefull for packages like
"clamav-signatures-xxx.rpm", "snort-rules-xxx-rpm".

- rpm+up2date: Multirepository.
Add a field like "Package Repository URI" in RPM where Up2Date can
check/update the package. Software vendors can setup a Current or
another RHN like server.
Another option is add config lines for up2date where you can say
"Packager X in URL Y".
I think that users will love update RHL and other software (as from
freshrpms) from unique application.
Problems: Profiles/Passwords/etc.

Ricardo.-