Feature Request

Samuel Flory sflory at rackable.com
Thu Jul 24 22:10:09 UTC 2003

Ethan Bonick wrote:

>>>tools, have you tried webmin?  IMO, the webmin developers do a much
>>>better job at keeping up with things than linuxconf did.
>>>

>>>I was talking about admin config tools not install time config
>>>options.
>>>

>>So was I.  Both redhat-config-* and webmin are administration tools used
>>on an installed system.
>>

>>>It's a very complicated issue. I am
>>>fine with ext3 being the default journal. I just hadn't seen anything
>>>on as to why they made it that way. If you do something that affects
>>>people they usually want to know why and many will concede once
>>>they've heard your position.
>>>

>>In answer to this specific question... here's the white paper on ext3
>>that I was looking for previously:
>>http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/ext3/
>>

>As Samuel has stated that ext3 is no longer faster,

  I've never seen a benchmark were ext3 won.  I'd love someone to show
me one that's not just a single narrow test.

Examples of ext3 getting is ass kicked:
http://www.decisionsoft.com/pdw/mailbench.html
http://www.quest-pipelines.com/newsletter-v2/linux2.htm
http://blackhairy.demon.co.uk/notes/fs-benchmarks.html
http://www.mandrakeforum.org/article.php?sid=1212

> I dont know about
>stability. But this paper was done in 2001 and as we all know a lot can
>happen in two years. Isn't it a good idea to retest every so often? Though
>that could change the default partition type every install.

Ext3 is an okay default as it's not that bad for read which is 90% of
what most people do.  It's all about choice, and using the right tool
for the right job.  Each filesystem type has it's own advantage I'm sure
there is some guy getting great performance for what he's doing with
ext3 in "journal mode" (ordered is the default modefor ext3).

  The real question is will redhat accept patches to add xfs, and
reiserfs support to the installer?

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)