Network install failure

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Thu Jul 24 23:55:22 UTC 2003

Matt Whiteley wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 09:04, Mike McLean wrote:
>

>><snip>
>>The network install methods are: nfs, ftp, http, nfsiso, httpdisc, and
>>ftpdisc.
>>
>>- nfs, ftp, and http installs work off of a unified tree (All rpms in a
>>single tree) that is accessible via the given protocol.
>>
>>- nfsiso works off of an nfs directory containing the isos (and nothing
>>else!).  No other network install method can use raw isos.
>>
>>- ftpdisc and httpdisc work off of a directory containing the split tree
>>(one subdirectory per disc).  So you might point the installer at
>>http://myserver/Severn/discs/ where the discs directory contains
>>subdirectories disc1, disc2, and disc3 which themselves contain the
>>contents of the three discs.  The idea behind these methods is that you
>>can loopback mount the three isos on your server, make those mountpoint
>>accessible via ftp or http, and run a network install off of that.

thanks

>This was so much easier and complete to understand than what I read in
>the manual.

i have no luck with my
    intel etherexpress 100 / e100  driver
link is ok but no network-connection
no ping, http, nfs, ftp, ... is possible

with the rhl 9  bootdisk.img, drvnet.img  no problems

then i have to cdrecording at least cd #1 for a minimal
english-installation,
german-mini-inst need 3 packages from cd #2 and no chance to come
further without cd #2  :-(

while burning,
it seems that anaconda try his best to find  cd/iso/directory

tty3:

local cd-rom:
->
# trying to mount device hdd

harddisk:
  /dev/hdb1
  /severn
->
# partition /dev/hdb1 selected
# mounting hdb1 for harddrive install

    tty4
    <4> EXT2-fs warning ...

nfs:
# going to do nfsGetSetup
  192.168.0.1
  severn
->
# mounting nfs path 192.168.0.1:/severn

ftp:
  192.168.0.1
  severn
->
# starting to STEP_URL
# trying to mount device hdd
# transferring ftp://192.168.0.1//severn/RedHat/base/updates.img to fd
# transferring ftp://192.168.0.1//severn/RedHat/base/product.img to fd
# 2565000 are available
# transferring ftp://192.168.0.1//severn/RedHat/base/stage2.img to fd

http:
  192.168.0.1
  severn
->