Fairly significant problems with rpm/package tool

Jeff Johnson jbj at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 13:27:21 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 12:12:16AM +0100, Mike wrote:
> I have come across a few issues
>
> 1. rpm and dependency info
>
> when I do rpm -q --whatprovides <packagename> all I get is the name of
> the package eg: gnome-panel,epiphany

Add a --queryformat (also --qf, but don't confuse with -qf) as in

	bash$ rpm -q --qf '%{arch}\n' --whatprovides libc.so.6
	i686
and you can extract whatever information you want.

> 2. Config tool
>
> wierd dependency info - eg: selected KDE-libs and got epiphany selected
> in addition, this seems bizarre

Maybe, but correcness is a whole different issue than "seems bizarre".
If you believe incorrect, than a bugzilla entry is probably the best approach.

> No way to add packages in various groups (gnome/kde) except via list
> view, which means you cant see what they do.

Dunno this context, perhaps redhat-config-packages? There may be a way,
but the context is outside my expertise, sorry.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj at redhat.com (jbj at jbj.org)