NVIDIA - Compile driver

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 16:44:05 UTC 2003

> > ages ago I asked the opengroup motif people about that part of their
> > COPYRIGHT and was informed with binary modules loaded this license doesn't
> > apply and I should purchase a real one.
>
> Isn't this more restrictive than the GPL and therefore incompatible?

Incompatible with what ? GPL software using it - possibly

> Does this mean I can't run an OpenMotif app over the wire to a non-OSS
> display?  I.e., use OM 'with' a non-OSS system?

Who knows

> Would it be acceptable for redhat-config-xfree86 to pop up a dialog
> warning that the nvidia module is not OSS and therefore may be
> incompatible with the licence(s) of other packages, and then let the
> user worry whether s?he is safe from the license police?

I guess if you packaged it you could put a conflicts line in for openmotif.

RHLP isnt about proprietary software. If someone wants to do nice automated
packaged rpm installers for the nvidia modules go do it. The core code
however needs to be clearly free software