Yum, autoupdate (was: Re: Graphical boot isn't so graphical)

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sat Jul 26 21:40:13 UTC 2003

Matthias Saou wrote:

> Then do check out yum : It has the ease of use that autoupdate has, trivial
> package signature checking like autoupdate has, but uses rpmlib and the
> actual package headers to calculate updates, so it doesn't miss the
> "Obsoletes:" tags nor the epoch increases... like autoupdate does.
>
> I'm still using autoupdate on quite a lot of production servers, but am
> switching to yum on the new ones.

OK, my first experiences using the yum rpm for RHL9 on RHL9:

-  yum-arch -z does not seem to compress the headers

-  pkgpolicy=last does not work as expected: when I have installed
   a version of package X (from the first yum server) and I add
   a second yum server with another version of package X, yum does
   not see a need to update package X!  When I install package X if
   not installed, it indeed takes the version from the second server.
   (serverid's are 01something and 02somethingelse).

-  yum install sometimes segfaults when installing a package

-  How can I do special actions, like installing a kernel i.s.o.
   upgrading it?

-  Furthermore I probably want to be able to run scripts before
   or after rpm actions being done (like the LUA scripts in
   apt-rpm).  I know this is Python and it should be probably
   pretty easy to add...

Comments?

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>