vmware 4.0

Michael Kearey mutk at iprimus.com.au
Sun Jul 27 05:06:32 UTC 2003

Jean-Eric Cuendet wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm unable to make vmware work correctly on Severn.
> I'm unable to setup vmware tools (Net, Graphics) which are really
> useful.
> The mouse is slow (probably because vmware tools are not installed).
>
> The default driver is pcnet32 (AMD 79c970, PCNET32 Lance), it loads OK,
> but then the network script say the cable is not plugged...
> The host OS (linux RH9) has network running just fine and the second
> vmware machine (Win2k) is also running fine with network and vmware
> tools.
> Does anyone have ideas on how to do it working?

Ah, you mean you are unable to configure Severn on a VMware machine
that is running in VMware 4.0?

To get the network interface up, make
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 look like:

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
check_link_down() {
	return 1;
}
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

> Thanks
> -jec
>
> PS: why is the kernel compiled with gcc 3.2.3 and the installed compiler
> is 3.3?

The reasons why have been explained by others. However, you can just
use gcc3.3 that comes with Severn..

The latest VMware for Linux WS ( VMware 4.0.1 )vmware-tools install
asks if you want to use gcc 3.3 even though it doesn't match the gcc
the kernel was built with...I just said yes..

And everything worked ok. A couple of complaints but that's it. Shared
folders work ok, the vmware service for guests runs ok, and the
XFree86 driver was installed too. I now enjoy fullscreen 1280x1024
Severn VM.

Only problem I have seen is odd colours for URLs in mozilla.

CHeers,
Michael