PHP4 + Apache2 = Experimental

Denice deatrich at lthipc5.epfl.ch
Mon Jul 28 14:07:05 UTC 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Marco Ermini wrote:

> Marc Richards disse:
> > I noticed that Apache2 is now the default httpd for both Severn and
> > Taroon.
> > I also noticed that php.net still considers Apache 2 support experimental
> > (http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.apache2.php).  Is there some
> > particular configuration (pre-fork module?) or patch that RedHat is using
> > in
> > order to guarantee a configuration that is reliable enough for use even on
> > your enterprise platform?
>
> I had no problems at all with PHP and Apache2. For what I know, it is
> widely used, although it may be labeled "experimental" I think it is quite
> reliable.

I for one have had problems with apache2/php, initially because of
buggy configuration directives.

While away in June I took my portable and started seriously working on
moving some of my web trees to apache2/php on RH9.  I found post-variable
corruption in some of the web pages that was very disturbing.   I had
planned on writing up some simpler scripts where I could _reproduce_
these problems and submit them as bugz on my return from vacation.
However patch php-4.2.2-17.2.i386.rpm in early july specifically mentions
corruption fixes:

 "This update contains fixes for a number of bugs discovered in the version
  of PHP included in Red Hat Linux 8.0 and 9.  These bugs include the use of
  a PHP script as an ErrorDocument and possible POST body corruption in some
  configurations."

So recently I started testing again.  On the surface php-4.2.2-17.2.i386.rpm
seems to have solved some of my problems at RH9, but I still can find cases
where this problem occurs.  So now I will give Severn a try since it offers
php 4.3.2, and see if this makes a difference.

I have to admit that I am leary of the combination of apache2/php...  I don't
think it is as reliable as apache1/php.
 cheers,
  denice

--