Taroon annoyance

Scott Becker scottb at bxwa.com
Mon Jul 28 17:14:47 UTC 2003

 >>>This happened well over 10 times during the entire install for me.

>>The problem is that AS and WS share the same disk2 and 3, but different
disk 1s.  Because of the order the RPMS have to be installed in, this
can lead to the multiple swapping of disks.  Some work _might_ be able
to be done to lower the number of swaps, but *shrug*

>>I wonder why they decided to use the same disk2 and disk3 for both

 >My guess is because all of the archs for this make it huge. Something
like 26 gig. I think they were trying to save space. With hardlinking it
comes down to around 18 gig but that is still huge compared to a normal
release.

Perhaps when the installer first needs a package that's not on the
current disk, it can copy the remaining packages from the current disk
that it is going to install before prompting for the next. This may
cause it to need a few gigs more temporary space but would be a
permanent solution which would allow common disks across final releases
as well as an easier time laying out the disks in all the releases.
Perhaps it could read the CD steady while it's installing the rpms
(should streamline install when installing from a SCSI cdrom).

    Scott Becker