initial comments on Severn: is rpm broken???

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Mon Jul 28 18:07:02 UTC 2003

My first install of Severn (selecting Personal desktop). However,
I could not install any applications using the software installer. The
CD drive would breifly flasn, but .... NOTHING!

1) After three other tries at installing, I finally got Severn installed as
Workstation (with "select individual packages"). A couple of times,
Anaconda complained that /hda was "not formatted" so it kindly
told me to reboot, thereby making me have to start the whole
install process from scratch.

2) I got this message from the KDE Configuration Tool (kernel
section):
"Sorry

The kernel configuration could not be read due to the following error:

/usr/src/linux-2.4/drivers/net/wan/Config.in, line 84:

        then
^ parse error

Either your kernel sources contain invalid configuration rules or you just
found a bug in the KDE Kernel Configurator."

3) My last (successful) install, I notice that plugger _still was not
installed_ *why not*?

4) I'm now trying to install openmotif, but as in (2) above, the CD light
just flashes. Copied the openmotif21-2.1.30-8.i386.rpm from CD 3, checked
my permissions, and as su tried rpm -ivh openmotif.... and the console
command just *sits there* is rpm still broken?

I need openmotif so I can install RealPlayer One.
On my *first*, and on my *last* installs, I made a point of verifying all
three CD's so the problem is not with the media, nor is it with the
CD drive.

Elton.