more system failures with Severn.... (on an Athlon)

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Mon Jul 28 20:20:38 UTC 2003

I don't have kmail installed (this time) ... third *successful* install.
Instead I have to use Mozilla mail. Starting Evolution, and I get
this error message:
"  Cannot activate component OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Mail_ShellComponent :
The error from the activation system is:
Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/INV_OBJREF:1.0'  "
Evolution then loads, but without it's default contents and folders.

Also, sendmail is VERY SLOW to load, so the load process (even the graphical
one) 'hangs' for about 2 full minutes when almost at the 80% mark .... I'm
gauging the "80 %" as a "guesstimate" of the visual completion bar.

bugs? you betcha! ... and to think that some in this list are already
running the
2.6 prerelease kernel.  I guess this means serious problems for the AMD
users
here.  Compared to most of 'em on the list, I'm running a fairly "old"
system
(about 4 years): AMD Athlon,  nVidia (3 D Labs) card, and Viewsonic 17.

Before my last crash and burn, I tried installing the nVidia drivers, and it
could not create the needed module. Sounds logical though, since I imagine
there would be some need of updating or patching to support the present
kernel in Severn.

Elton.