more system failures with Severn.... (on an Athlon)

Ethan Bonick etbonick at networkinggeeks.com
Mon Jul 28 20:29:54 UTC 2003

> I don't have kmail installed (this time) ... third *successful* install.
> Instead I have to use Mozilla mail. Starting Evolution, and I get
> this error message:
> "  Cannot activate component OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Mail_ShellComponent
> : The error from the activation system is:
> Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/INV_OBJREF:1.0'  "
> Evolution then loads, but without it's default contents and folders.
>
> Also, sendmail is VERY SLOW to load, so the load process (even the
> graphical one) 'hangs' for about 2 full minutes when almost at the 80%
> mark .... I'm gauging the "80 %" as a "guesstimate" of the visual
> completion bar.
>
> bugs? you betcha! ... and to think that some in this list are already
> running the
> 2.6 prerelease kernel.  I guess this means serious problems for the AMD
> users
> here.  Compared to most of 'em on the list, I'm running a fairly "old"
> system
> (about 4 years): AMD Athlon,  nVidia (3 D Labs) card, and Viewsonic 17.
>
> Before my last crash and burn, I tried installing the nVidia drivers,
> and it could not create the needed module. Sounds logical though, since
> I imagine there would be some need of updating or patching to support
> the present kernel in Severn.

I installed 2.6.0-test1 one today on ath 700 over ssh and rebooted the
machine, it came up fine and i just ssh'd in to check it. Granted I am not
running anything on it yet. I also did to my ath 1800 and rebooted, but it
didnt come back up. So its not "old" hardware causing it. I also have
rage128 pro vid on the 700. Will try beta on my ibm 600E later and maybe I
can have sound again wiht 2.6 kernel.

--
Ethan Bonick
etbonick_AT_networkinggeeks.com