realtek 8139too

Scott Becker scottb at bxwa.com
Tue Jul 29 16:48:35 UTC 2003

I've had this. It seems that the kudzu/modprobe systems don't have an
entry for that chip quite right and so that linux doesn't properly
assign the IRQ and IO address to the plug n play NIC (all pci cards?). A
work around is to go into the bios setup and tell it that the OS is not
plug n play compatible. Then when you boot, the bios will assign the
resources and it's likely to work. When you identify a proper fix set
the bios back and test it. I started having this problem with version 8.
There's been attempts to fix it but I think it's an ongoing task to
maintain a hardware list somewhere.

    Scott Becker