Mount Other filesystems

Chris Hillman chris at boredinboise.org
Wed Jul 30 02:29:55 UTC 2003

Maynard Kuona wrote:

>I think this is the biggest omission (OK maybe not), but I think Redhat
>needs to configure itself to automatically mount FAT partitions without
>requiring the user do that.

I think this may have more to do with FAT32 support being technically in
*Alpha* stage (or at least that was the warning I saw before installing
rhgb) ... though I have not heard of problems with FAT32.

>In fact, it should mount any partitions it
>recognizes automatically, and give them names in some determined way.

That may stir up some controversy... especially if it any corruption of
data occurred as a result.

>This could always be changed in fstab. It really irritates that after
>installing Redhat 9, I have to mount the partitions manually. I know I
>can do it during install, but its still too damn hard.

I think that is the hard part... ease of use, or ensuring other
filesystems will stay safe.

>And a graphical client to set up partitions wouldn't hurt either.

Agreed... isn't there a way we could run disk druid post install to
replace using fdisk and mkfs?.. and have it push changes to the fstab?

-Chris