success! severn + gcc 3.3 kernel + wireless + nvidia

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 30 11:36:03 UTC 2003

  ok, making progress here.  starting from a stock isntall of severn
on my inspiron 8100, i have

  1) starting with the shipped config file and ripping out massive
     amounts of junk, recompiled the kernel with gcc 3.3
  2) pcmcia sees my linksys wireless net card nicely, configures
     with DHCP
  3) new nvidia driver (4496) builds with gcc 3.3, doesn't complain
     about compiler mismatch any more

now, against my better judgment, i still want to try a 2.6.0-testx
kernel, so what's the algorithm for moving on up?

  specifically, what's the steps involved in moving from
modules.conf to modprobe.conf?  and anything else i should
be careful of to prevent it exploding?  i'm willing to give
it a shot.

rday