Dependencies [was Re: bugs, bugs, bugs!]

Milan Kerslager milan.kerslager at pslib.cz
Wed Jul 30 20:52:46 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:10:56PM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:22:26 +0200, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
>
> > > As a side-note, RPM cannot know that program X from package Y is
> > > executed in script A from package B. Hence in some cases, explicitly
> > > listed requirements are likely to stay.
> >
> >  ? This argument I don't understand. This is what the requirements are
> > used for, but it doesn't matter whether files or packages are mentioned
> > as requirements. ALso not sure if you mean package or file names with
> > "explicitly listed arguments".
>
> It is one of the reasons why you see a mixture of automatically
> generated dependencies and manually added requirements.

With rpmdb-redhat package in your system you will see the names of
packages instead of names of required libraries. There is no reason to
file up manually any dependencies when they could be generated
automagically (via ldd or so, check /usr/lib/rpm/find-requires).

The only reason to fill Requires: manually (and probably with name of
other package) is when this automated process can't be done. This is why
rhgb need initscripts with version at least X.Y.Z because when you would
like to see graphical boot (provided by rhgb) you have to have
initscripts with a line calling rhgb (older initscripts have no similar
call).

--
                        Milan Kerslager
                        E-mail: milan.kerslager at pslib.cz