Dependencies [was Re: bugs, bugs, bugs!]

Leonard den Ottolander leonardjo at hetnet.nl
Wed Jul 30 20:57:51 UTC 2003

Hello Michael,

> > Nobody has yet explained to me why there are still packages
> > depending on packages anyway.
>
> Because one package needs the contents or file-structure provided
> by another package.

 Right. Dumb question ;).

> As has been pointed out before, manually added dependencies increase the
> package maintenance costs.

 Well, I guess that is a matter of opinion as I tried to explain.

> It gets even worse when you introduce versioned dependencies.

 Not really if you use >= . The version only changes if explicit
functionality changes and that would show in the required
lib/executable anyway.

 It seems I am fighting a lost battle. I guess I'll retreat to my tent
:).

Bye,
Leonard.

--
How clean is a war when you shoot around nukelar waste?
Stop the use of depleted uranium ammo!