CDROM confusion

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Thu Jul 31 04:34:08 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 22:27, Gerry Tool Gerry Tool <gstool at earthlink.net>
wrote:
> I am going nuts trying to figure out how to get kudzu to stop trying to
> mount "extra" cdrom drives.  I have two drives, a cdrw on hdc and a dvd
> player on hdd.  I have added hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi to my kernel line
> in grub.conf.  I have created links /dev/cdrom linked to /dev/scd0 and
> /dev/cdrom1 linked to /dev/scd1.
>
> I have changed /etc/fstab to read
>
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
> noauto,user,ro 0 0
> /dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660
> noauto,user,ro 0 0
>
> trying not to use kudzu for the cdrom drives.
>
> When I reboot, kudzu insists on creating new links /dev/cdrom2 to
> /dev/hdc and /dev/cdrom3 to /dev/hdd, and adding lines as follows to
> /etc/fstab.
>
> /dev/cdrom2             /mnt/cdrom2             udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/cdrom3             /mnt/cdrom3             udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>
> This all worked fine when I set it up this way in RHL8.0 and RHL9.
>
> How can I resolve this?
Gerry, if this is of any help: I have the same hardware configuration as
you do: viz: /dev/hdc is my cdwriter, and /dev/hdd is my DVD drive.

My grub.conf file has not been modified from the default:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptl)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
	initrd /initrd-2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptl.img

And here are the contents of my fstab file:

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/hdb                /mnt/ls120.0            auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

cdrom1 (cdwriter) and cdrom (DVD drive) are the Secondary Master and
Slave drives on my system.

HTH,

Elton ;-)