Questioning RH's decisions to remain a viable and independent company?

Tue Nov 4 17:35:45 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, snookertb wrote:

> If I were Novell I would supply XD2 support for fedora. Makes a great
> way to sell thruogh
> to your other products. This could be big trouble for RH.
>
> I use XD2 and it is a good product. Their RedCarpet is also top notch.

>From the conference call earlier:
Someone asked "will Novell continue to support the other distributions?"
Novell said something like "We will certainly continue to certify our
products on redhat for the time being, and we will see how that goes."

(though that sounds to me like they are talking about novell directory
services, etc.)

All of the linux distros might have to face that a company might want to
use three distros.  If they think Redhat is best for servers, while
Novell/Ximian/Suse is best for desktops... the vendors will have to deal
with it.  Just like right now, IBM has to deal with that we use Dell
desktops, and Microsoft has to deal with that we have Unix servers and
Oracle installations.

 -- noah silva