RH recommends using Windows?

nosp nosp at xades.com
Tue Nov 4 18:49:41 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 18:39, Eric Wood wrote:
> But because of its diverseness, Windows 98/ME and XP made it to the
> corporate desktop because it was easy to use at home, and people thought,
> "Hey, I'll use this at work."

No way dude -- PCs made it to the home because they were used at work
(good for RH's argument) and because you HAD to play Wing Commander (bad
for RH's argument).

> RH, to me, was attacking the Windows market on two fronts simultaneously,
> corporate (stability) and home (features).   End users want stablilty, but
> all they ever talk about is features!  For example, I bought a couple
> different USB jumpdrive things (and you must by psychic, from CompUSA),
> stuck 'em in and nothing happened on Fedora, but a drive letter simply comes
> up in ME/XP.  It's lots of little things like that which yeild the kudos.

This is exactly why RH doesn't want to do both, I think.

> And if my name is Linksys, HP, Canon, etc. and I hear that RH doesn't want
> or have a desire to appeal to home users any more, then why should I
> continue writing linux drivers?  I'll be less motivated to do so - not
> really for them of course. ;-)

Nope -- because HP and Canon will die if enterprise customers can't use
their printers.  Same even with linksys and Intel.

> Even if RH doesn't official support Fedora, which is fine, they really need
> to convey a tone that they still look forward to going after the home
> desktop with Fedora.

Yes, I think that it would be nice to see a target of "enthusiasts now,
home users later" published; or that just as publicly negated so
everyone knows where RH stands.  Still, I think "enthusiasts" are very
close to "early-adopters" so RH is still well-hedged by being exposed to
that market.