while we're waiting for Fedora Core (GA) ...

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 5 01:30:49 UTC 2003

nosp said:
> On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 20:15, Dave Jones wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:58:10PM +0000, nosp wrote:
>>
>>  > > http://www.linuxant.com/company/press_dldr.php
>>  > > LINUXANT RELEASES NEW DRIVERLOADERâ„¢ FOR INTEL CENTRINO, INTERSIL,
>> BROADCOM,
>>  > > ATHEROS, AND OTHER WIRELESS LAN DEVICES
>>  > A great candidate for Fedora / Fedora extras, license permitting...
>>
>> "lack of taste" permitting maybe.
>
> Reading the Fedora Terminology closer, I guess the linuxant software is
> open source (thus maybe eligible for Fedora Core/Extras/etc.) but of
> since the windows centrino driver is binary as pointed out by more
> reflective readers of this list, that won't be in Fedora ever.

The "Driverloader" section has a license the resembles pine:
"Redistribution of this software is only permitted for exact copies
(without modification) of versions explicitly marked and officially
released by Linuxant with the word "free" in their name."

This unfortunately makes it just as bad to try to maintain as closed
source.  Even if someone fixes a bug and/or security issue they can't
redistribute it.

--
William Hooper