Delay? Looks bad for Fedora

Neil Thompson abraxis at metroweb.co.za
Wed Nov 5 05:50:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:38:07PM -0500, Matthew Walburn wrote:
> I sincerely apologize for asking this because I mean no offense... but
> is the Fedora Legacy Project going to be something that people like me
> can truly depend on?

The Fedora Legacy project is not going to be worth anything if everyone
sits around expecting it to solve their problems for them.  One of the
most probable reasons (in my mind) for Red Hat's current moves away from
long term maintenance on the Fedora/RHL products is that it costs time and
money to do that kind of thing.

Most people were not prepared to put in that kind of money, prefering
instead to download the isos, use a demo RHN account and throw Red Hat
the occasional bone (as in "I buy a copy of RHL at least once a year"
- disregarding the fact that they have it installed on at least 10 PCs).

If you're going going to want to "truly depend on" Fedora Legacy, you're
going to have to cover some of the cost/time by contributing.  Testing,
creating new packages, back-porting fixes, bug reporting/triaging, etc.

Just sitting there waiting for someone else to do it is not going to cut
it any more.

Cheers! (Relax...have a homebrew)

Neil