Pain with newest up2date RPM's

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Nov 5 11:25:20 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Daniel Veillard wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:28:54PM +0800, Justin Clift wrote:
> > It doesn't seem to be enabling my proxy config.  Every time I right
> > click on the rhn applet and choose to configure it, the proxy info is in
> > there but it's always disabled.  (both proxy url and authentication
> > options unticked)
>
>   Note that up2date and the rhn-applet don't use the same configuration
> files (/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date and ~/.rhn-applet.conf respectively).
> Make sure the proxy informations are right in both configuration files.

Just how many places do we need for proxy configuration in a system :-/
Not complaining about up2date / rhn-applet specifically, I just find it
plain annoying that to (pre)configure a system to use proxies where
necessary involves entering essentially the same data into 20 different
places, each with slightly different format.

Would be a major lobbying effort to get every (relevant) internet-aware
program to agree using a single proxy configuration location + format of
course.. but would be well worth the effort I think. Ok Gnome2 has a
common place to speficy it but that's "hidden" in gconf instead of a plain
old textfile making it not-so-nice for things like wget etc.

> I will investigate the proxy setting interface since I saw a bugzilla
> bug about this.

Since up2date and rhn-applet are so closely related (at least seemingly so
to the user) it'd be nice if at least those would share the settings..

	- Panu -