Fedora Core 1 Test Update: postgresql-7.3.4-10

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Nov 25 18:51:16 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 01:12 pm, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> Eventually, I'm hoping that Fedora Altnernatives will also be a
> place that people can go to get new and incompatible versions of
> software when they know they can deal with the incompatibilities.

That would be one good thing for FA to be.

> > Maybe by the time FC2 is out I can have the multiversion install stuff
> > working.

> Ah, the holy grail.  :-)

Yes, indeed.  I do have a rough roadmap, courtesy of Oliver Elphick, the
Debian PostgreSQL maintainer.  He and I have conversed a good deal on this
subject, and he has a proposal.  I  haven't gone over it with a fine tooth
comb as yet, but there are a number of things I really like about it.

The gist of the proposal is to treat PostgreSQL the same way the kernel is
treated.  That is, you don't upgrade kernels; you install the new one, and
they coexist.  For PostgreSQL it's a little more complicated; but Oliver has
most things right down the line.  I will post to the -devel list a proposal
for it as soon as I have it distilled into a Fedora-ish form.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology