so ... how do i get a graphical boot?

James J. Ramsey jjramsey_6x9eq42 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 1 16:46:12 UTC 2003

--- Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:

> Have you read the release notes for the new release?

Why should I have? The new release isn't out yet. Not
too surprisingly, I *did* read the release notes for
Fedora 0.95 test 3.

A very conspicuous change was made that looked like a
bug--a much touted feature had disappeared. The nature
of the change was announced (buried?) inconspicuously
in the release notes. Meanwhile, on the mailing list,
when there were complaints about the disappearance of
the graphical boot, no mention was made that this was
a result of an intentional change, not a bug. Not
good.

> new installs will have it turned on upgrades will
need
> to be configured

Until yesterday I would have considered that good
news. :-(

Unfortunately, the graphical boot at the very least
messes up support for Wacom USB tablets. (See
<http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-October/msg04154.html>.)
Who knows what other stuff rhgb might break? IMHO, the
graphical boot shouldn't be enabled by default *at
all*.