ACPI AML problem on Thinkpad T40p - how to correct?

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sun Nov 2 11:28:05 UTC 2003

I activated acpi on my IBM Thinkpad T40p. ACPI it meant for device
enumaration only and, indeed, the power saving functions nor the battery
applet did work.

Inspecting /var/log/messages I found:

Nov  1 14:26:09 ibmLaptop kernel:     ACPI-0178: *** Warning: The ACPI
  AML in your computer contains errors, please nag the manufacturer to
  correct it.
Nov  1 14:26:09 ibmLaptop kernel:     ACPI-0181: *** Warning: Allowing
  relaxed access to fields; turn on CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG for details.
Nov  1 14:26:09 ibmLaptop kernel: ACPI: Interpreter enabled

Is the AML (ACPI Machine Language) issue related to the DSDT issues,
which has been reported here several times? I couldn't determine it
based on the information I found on the ACPI project pages and INTEL's.

And how to correct it  or is it even necessary to correct? I suppose a
kindly letter for Mr. Palmisano will not help so much  :-).

Regards
Peter