Delay? Looks bad for Fedora

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Nov 3 22:52:44 UTC 2003

> What is the delay due to on the release?
> I do not understand what this means: Delayed due to respin for several days,
> will be available as soon as possible.....

A set of what should hopefully have been gold CD images were made but
found to have some problems last minute. That needs fixing and things like
the US export laws mean its not a simple case of replace package, recompile
and test. (and the retest takes time too)

> This is not a good sign for those waiting to see if fedora will still be a
> professional distro.

You think other software doesn't slip. Its just in the "professional" world
nobody told you the date anyway, or they give loose 'safe' dates to allow
for slippage.

> Perhaps still including a box set would have been a good idea.  Although

The Fedora trademark rules are looser precisely so other people can do
boxed editions.

> looking through the mailing list, is Fedora up to the task of running on a
> server anymore?  I am not sure.

Its the next generation of the same code, with more flexibility and rapid
change to get you new stuff. It depends what you are looking for. Fedora
certainly isnt for everyone. It isn't some kind of "crippled" system
however.

Alan