Delay? Looks bad for Fedora

Torrey Hoffman thoffman at arnor.net
Tue Nov 4 01:59:30 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 16:37, Res wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
[...]
> > The move to fedora was a mistake for RedHat.
[...]

> WELL SAID!

> RH have damaged there excellent name with this move, and being
> with the distro since it first came to life many moons ago, I never
> thought I'd see the day where I would even *dream* about considering using
> another flavour, but sadly RH have forced that into a reality, that unless
> reversed, I feel will also see thousands more move away from the distro.

I completely disagree.

Before Fedora was announced, I was about to give up on Red Hat (after
using 7.3, 8, and 9, every day, all day) and begin searching for a
distribution with a better update system, more frequent updates, and
more flexible software sources.

I was starting to experiment with Knoppix and Gentoo.   Red Hat 9 plus
Ximian Desktop 2 plus FreshRPMs.net plus yum wasn't bad, but it was
still too frustrating finding, adding, and updating all the extra
software I wanted.

But Fedora looks like it will be EXACTLY what I want: fast, frequent
updates, lots of rapid bug fixing, and lots of easy-to-configure
software sources.

I also really appreciate the move to a community based approach, and am
making much more of an effort to test the builds, and find and report
bugs than I ever did for previous Red Hat releases.  As soon as I have
time I'll probably even start fixing bugs and submitting patches.  I
never did that for previous Red Hat relases.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Perhaps some people will switch away
from Red Hat because of the changes to Fedora, but I'll bet that there
will be a net INCREASE in users.

Torrey

--
Torrey Hoffman <thoffman at arnor.net>