Delay? Looks bad for Fedora

Randy Vice damocles at thenostromo.com
Tue Nov 4 15:23:29 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 November 2003 01:08, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
> > > The move to fedora was a mistake for RedHat.  I understand why they did
> > > it, but they went too far and discarded loyal users ( some paying some
> > > not.
> >
> > There seem to be a lot of people voicing the opinion that this is a move
> > to abandon the Free Software community.
>
> That didn't seem to be what the poster was saying.
> He was expressing the view -- which I share --
> was that the development may be bad _for RedHat_.
>
> To me, the RH/Fedora thing is just very confusing,
> and I don't want to spend a lot of time thinking (or reading) about it.

Agreed, and most of the nonprofessional sysadmins are probably in the same
boat.  I can only assume, for those of us in that boat, they are guessing
that we either go with Enterpise or be happy with Fedora.

> I'm actually running Fedora on one desktop, and RH-9.0 on another,
> and both are running perfectly.
> But I knew exactly where I was with RH-6-7-8-9,
> and I don't feel I know exactly where I am with Fedora.

Agreed, if I have to go partial cold turkey, I may as well look outside
the RH umbrella entirely.

> Like many others, I am occasionally asked about commercial installations,
> and I've always recommended RedHat.
> I probably still will do so, but not with the same enthusiasm.

If you don't use RH enterpise at home nor at work, how could you recommend
it to anyone?

> So I don't think RedHat is wicked --
> I just think they may have made a commercial mistake.

Agreed, and poor timing as well now that Novell/Ximian is buying out SuSE.
I'll DL Fedora when it's released, but I'm keeping a sharp on Novell's
Linux distro, they may be wanting to pick up those of us who don't fit in
RH's new scheme.  Guess the next six months will be an interesting time to
see where the chips fall.

Randy

--
: damocles at TheNostromo.com : Bruce Morrow, a man before and after his time :
: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood  :