Ximian on Redhat?

Tue Nov 4 15:50:25 UTC 2003

> I prefer a Linux distribution owning a monopoly on the operation system
> market over Microsoft. A Linux-distro, at least most parts of it, are
> fully open-source, so it is easy to use an alternative-distro or
> operation system because standards, fileformats etc. are open.
>
> More interesting: Will Ximian still be available for Red Hat base
> operating systems? Ximian Desktop was already available for SuSE, but i
> can imagen that Ximian will stop supporting Red Hat.

I would almost be willing to bet on this.  It's sad because I really LIKE
XD, and I think red-carpet is superior to RHN/YUM... (Especially the UI..
why didn't redhat take that and run??)

But think about it:  at least people on this list haven't been so
enthusiastic about XD.  I get the feeling from redhat personnel, both on
this list, and having met some in person, that Ximian is a headache for
them.  With the latest XD going so far as to actually change libc, and
other low level libs, I can't blame them!  Supporting all those distros
must be a hassle for Ximian too, but they had to before.

But: As with all open-source, redhat is free to take what Ximian does..
(like how openoffice now sort-of uses the gnome themes).  If anything, I
don't think the distros steal _enough_ from each other.  For example, Suse
and the others really should just have taken redhat's "config-user" app.
Yes, it may be copying, and they may want to do something original, but
for a user who has 10 ways to add a user on 10 different distros... not so
happy.  (And I really wish redhat would put the gnome style toolbar icons
for OOo from Ximian into the Fedora OOo RPM).

I think though, that this is getting off topic somewhere along the line.

 thanks,
    noah silva