RH recommends using Windows?

Paul Kline Paul at essential-skills.com
Tue Nov 4 17:04:11 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 11:42, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Eric Wood wrote :
>
> > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39117575,00.htm
> >
> > Man, has RH really lost that much confidence in Fedora?
>
> ...and I would tend to agree with Matthew Szulik. Note the difference that
> is made between home and corporate desktop : The (lower) average home user
> has drastically different expectations then the corporate one : Games,
> Multimedia most notably, vs. Productivity and Communication tools.
>
> When so few 3D graphic cards have free native X drivers, and patents
> prevent the most popular multimedia formats from being supported in
> GNU/Linux distributions, it's just not possible to compete fairly.
>
> Matthias

Only reason why I have a Windows XP computer at home is, 1) Games.
Multimedia formats?  DVDs, DivX, and various other formats play just
fine under linux.   While he has his opinion, I can have an opinion he
is quiet wrong.  After losing my precious email for the 10th time, I
started using evolution, its been about a year, and I have not had one
fatal crash.  For Games, yeah you need Windows, but even a Lindows
walmart computer for $299, will be a safe bet to use for email, web
browsers.   If VARs preinstall linux and turn off the "internet related"
services (ssh, apache, telnet, ftp) you can have a more secure computer
for home usage than the average home windows computer.

Thats my $.02 :)

Paul