Delay? Looks bad for Fedora

Tue Nov 4 17:31:42 UTC 2003

> One would hope there is more room then that.

I am sure niche markets will mean there is.  (like Embedix), but big
players.. I am doubting it.

> <snip>
> > What do you realistically think the alternative to FC was?  I think it's
> > one you would like a lot less!
>
> I don't know, but it certainly looks like I'll be find out.  Since I was
> happy with the service RH was providing at $60 @ year,  I was planning to
> stick to it and update my server from 7.3 to 9.1 (I got 9.0 and Severn
> running on other sytems) as EOL was coming up for support.  I'll probably
> upgrade to 9.0 an wait and see what to do prior to my subscription
> expiring for RHN.
>
> So when is the stable release of Fedora due out?

Yesterday, but from the release schedule page: "November 3 2003 - General
Availability Delayed due to respin for several days, will be available as
soon as possible."

Why not download it when it comes out,and take it for a spin?  Just
like 8 to 9, it's much the same, jet with a lot of nice little additons.
The biggest thing you will notice is a massive search-and-replace of "red
hat" to "fedora core". ;)

RHN is still there, and last i checked, you could still use it, you just
have two new options.  Everyone was installing apt and yum and using third
party repositories anyway, redhat made things easier for home users by
officially picking a repository, and building yum and apt support in.  Now
you can have all three protocols on one system.

 -- noah silva