Delay? Looks bad for Fedora

Randy Vice damocles at thenostromo.com
Tue Nov 4 17:50:26 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Noah Silva [Mailing list] wrote:

> > One would hope there is more room then that.
>
> I am sure niche markets will mean there is.  (like Embedix), but big
> players.. I am doubting it.
>
> > <snip>
> > > What do you realistically think the alternative to FC was?  I think it's
> > > one you would like a lot less!
> >
> > I don't know, but it certainly looks like I'll be find out.  Since I was
> > happy with the service RH was providing at $60 @ year,  I was planning to
> > stick to it and update my server from 7.3 to 9.1 (I got 9.0 and Severn
> > running on other sytems) as EOL was coming up for support.  I'll probably
> > upgrade to 9.0 an wait and see what to do prior to my subscription
> > expiring for RHN.
> >
> > So when is the stable release of Fedora due out?
> >
> Yesterday, but from the release schedule page: "November 3 2003 - General
> Availability Delayed due to respin for several days, will be available as
> soon as possible."

Yeah, that doesn't answer my question though. =)  Next Monday?  Next
month?  Since Fedora is for home/hobby folks, could the announcement be
worded a bit more in nontechnical terms?  "Respin" is a new term for me,
and I've been using RH since 6.x days.

> Why not download it when it comes out,and take it for a spin?  Just
> like 8 to 9, it's much the same, jet with a lot of nice little additons.
> The biggest thing you will notice is a massive search-and-replace of "red
> hat" to "fedora core". ;)
>
> RHN is still there, and last i checked, you could still use it, you just
> have two new options.  Everyone was installing apt and yum and using third
> party repositories anyway, redhat made things easier for home users by
> officially picking a repository, and building yum and apt support in.  Now
> you can have all three protocols on one system.

Yeah, RHN is still there for me, but not for long. :\  Or is Fedora crew
planning a RHN service replacement?

--
: damocles at TheNostromo.com : Bruce Morrow, a man before and after his time :
: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood  :